The name “America’s White Boy” comes from a term I coined for the white basketball players CBS focuses on during the tournament.
I don’t believe this yearly ritual is intentionally racist. Think of the movies “Hoosiers” or “Rudy”. These players aren’t the most athletic guys and CBS uses them to tell the story of the underdog.
The “Cinderella” aspect of the NCAA Tournament is what brings in the casual sports fan.
Here is our list of the best white basketball players in this year’s tournament. I’m sure CBS will use this as a cheat sheet for their coverage.
Adam Morrison, Gordon Hayward, Kevin Pittsnogle, Mike Gansey, Luke Harangody, etc. They have all be the focus of the NCAA Tournament.
We think many players in this year’s group could go on to do big things in the NBA. A lot of underrated talent, even though CBS will play up the Cinderella aspect of each player being in the tournament…even if they’re a star on a big program like Ohio State or Duke.
- Aaron Craft – Ohio State Buckeyes
- Marshall Henderson – Ole Miss Rebels
- Brett Comer – Florida Gulf Coast Eagles
- Nate Wolters – South Dakota State Jackrabbits
- Matthew Dellavedova – St. Mary’s Gaels
- David Stockton – Gonzaga Bulldogs
- Ben Brust – Wisconsin Badgers
- Doug McDermott – Creighton Bluejays
- Erik Murphy – Florida Gators
- Ryan Kelly – Duke Blue Devils
- Jack Cooley – Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- Cody Ellis – Saint Louis Billikens
- Colton Iverson – Colorado State Rams
- Kelly Olynyk – Gonzaga Bulldogs
- Cody Zeller – Indiana Hoosiers
- Mason Plumlee – Duke Blue Devils
- Mike Muscala – Bucknell Bison
- Jeff Withey – Kansas Jayhawks
- Alex Kirk – New Mexico Lobos