Hey guys, have you noticed that I’ve started writing again? I started this blog 4 years ago this month and I have taken five extended breaks from writing. Every time I take a hiatus, I feel the need to tell people why I decided to take a break. Here it goes…
I’ve always been “too honest” on this site and I can tell you guys that my passion for writing…it faded. I had a day job, a girlfriend, a busy social life, yet I kept writing here and for a few other sites. Over the last year and a half, I’ve had a few losses in my life and it increased my “fuck it” impulse. It’s not that I didn’t want to write, I couldn’t. The picture above is a photo of me that a friend shot in Vegas. It exemplifies how I felt about writing. I would sit at my laptop and my mind would be blank.
It’s not like I completely quit writing, I tried. I have been working on a short story for a few years now. I would have days where I would write, but they were few and far between. I’ve had a few freelance gigs and helped start a local nightlife site, but I didn’t get any joy from it. I know that this needed to change and I tried everything to try to re-boot my system, I even became a vegetarian for two months. I didn’t want my passion to die, so I kept trying new things and it slowly came back.
I can say that, as of today, my passion bucket is once again full. My mind is full of ideas and I’m ready to start making the magic happen again. I have agreed to write for a few other sites, as well as rejuvenating my own. I started this blog because of the NCAA Tournament and the phenomenon that happens every year. One unathletic whiteboy becomes the nation’s underdog…America’s White Boy. I started it with the idea of being the underdog. This site went from an idea to getting over 50k uniques a month. I hope to start that process again today.
Now that I’ve said all of that, this is the portion of this post where I list all of the things that I’ve learned since I’ve been gone.
– I’ve realized that the Cubs will never win the World Series
– Soccer moms listen to Bon Iver while they do “hot yoga”
– I’ve spent a lot of time drinking craft beer…a lot of time.
– I really love “Jungleland” by Bruce Springsteen, here’s a live version from 1975.
– My attempt at being a hardcore soccer fan, it never really happened. I don’t wake up early enough on the weekends.
– I finally watched “The Silence Of The Lambs”, so I now get a lot of old jokes & parodies of Buffalo Bill.
– I hate accounting. I really hate accounting.
– I’ve watched a lot of TV. I really like “Community”, “Parks & Recreation”, “Always Sunny In Philadelphia”, “New Girl”, & “The Big Bang Theory”
– You should “Like” me on Facebook.
– I hope to join together with some friends and start a podcast soon.
– Ryan Braun probably got away with taking steroids.
– 2011 was a pretty shitty year.
– I watch a lot of Josh Krajcik videos on YouTube.
– Grantland.com should be so much better than it is. I love long-form sports journalism & Chuck Klosterman. The site shouldn’t be named after Grantland Rice, it should be named after Will Leitch.
– I’m still addicted to Twitter @ Sweetbob.
– I think I personally know at least 100 “social media experts”, yet many lack any real-life social skills.
– I’m signed up for Google+, but I rarely use it. The only people who add me are from Sri Lanka or a country in the Orient.
– This past football season, I got over 100,000 uniques from Google from people searching for the terms “Tim Tebow Virgin” & “Tim Tebow Naked/Nude”. I used to just get a lot of hits from the term “shirtless” followed by popular baseball players’ names.
– I hate that a lot of sites are starting to use the “Bleacher Report” model of using “Top 10” lists or using slideshows to increase traffic.
– I’m no longer jaded by the music industry. I’ve realized that “the machine” is dying and independent artists are gaining more control of their lives.
– I really want to watch Wrestlemania this year.
– If you love drinking beer, you should be on Untappd.
– I think A&W Root Beer is the best root beer. I will fight anyone to the death if they tell me otherwise.
– I have been writing jokes for a stand-up routine. I have a lot of material…I just need to try it out on people.
– Twitter has ruined my grammar. I kind of have a hardcore “passive voice” problem. (English nerds will get that joke)
– Christina Aguilera is slowly turning into Snooki.
– I read something by Mark Twain, every day.
– If you play Christmas songs on a jukebox in February, everyone at that bar will hate you.
– I’m a huge fan of mash-ups, but I have a hatred for dub-step.
– My next phone will be an iPhone, I’ve grown tired of my Android…also, I would like to have Instagram.
– I’ve watched 95% of the Indiana Pacers games this year, watch out for them in the playoffs.
– Anthony Davis’s unibrow will get drafted #2, after Anthony Davis himself.
– Last week, I successfully groomed Nugget, my shih tzu.
– I have the best friends that a guy could have. I haven’t been around them that much in the last year, but I hope that will change soon. I think about you guys everyday.
Finally, I’ve always ended these posts with a picture of a hot girl. I did it just to make my girlfriend mad, since I’m single, I don’t feel the need to do it. Instead, here are some photos that crack me up and/or I want to put on the back of my business card.
Thanks for hanging in there with me!
Feel free to “Like” my blog on Facebook or click the Facebook box located within the sidebar.